Foundation grants are in addition to nearly $600K in direct donations Navigant Credit Union has disbursed across the state.
SMITHFIELD, R.I. (September 14, 2023) – Continuing its mission of improving the financial well-being of the families, businesses and communities it serves in Rhode Island, Navigant Credit Union recently awarded more than $200,000 in charitable grants to support several non-profit organizations operating across the state.
This funding was awarded through the Navigant Credit Union Charitable Foundation, an independent 501(c)3 charity established in 2017. The mission of the Navigant Credit Union Charitable Foundation is to make significant and impactful financial contributions to organizations across the state focused on education, social services, arts & culture, public health, or civic duty.
“For well over a century, Navigant Credit Union has proactively sought out opportunities to support the individuals, organizations and causes that work to make Rhode Island a better place to live and raise a family,” said Navigant Credit Union President / CEO Kathy Orovitz. “The establishment of our charitable foundation back in 2017 allowed us to expand our philanthropic mission in a way that makes a real, immediate difference in the lives of our neighbors. We’re proud to support this year’s round of worthy awardees, and we thank each of their respective teams for their work on behalf of Rhode Islanders.”
So far this year, the Navigant Credit Union Charitable Foundation has fulfilled nine grants in the total amount of $206,000. These grants fulfilled through the Foundation are in addition to $600,000 in direct financial support Navigant Credit Union has distributed to 420 Rhode Island non-profit organizations, as well over 1,000 hours of community service provided by more than 140 Navigant Credit Union employees.
This year’s Navigant Credit Union Charitable Foundation grant awardees include:
- Bishop Feehan High School ($25,000): Funding will support capital expenses associated with the construction of a new wing on the school dedicated to STEAM classroom and practice space.
- Cartwheel ($10,000): Funding will help the grocery delivery non-profit organization expand its service for a full calendar year. Cartwheel partners with local food pantries and uses a ride-share model to connect in-need, primarily homebound clients with volunteers drivers to receive a week’s worth of groceries.
- Crossroads Rhode Island ($50,000): Funding will support the organization’s “Roads to Home” capital campaign, which is striving to create nearly 300 permanent, supporting housing units in Providence.
- Jonnycake Center of Westerly ($10,000): Funding will support the organizations financial assistance program, which helps Westerly residents secure and retain sustainable housing by providing emergency assistance for rent, utilities, medical and other recurring bills.
- Junior Achievement ($10,000): Funding will help the organization expand its volunteer-led financial literacy programs to 10 classrooms across the state, impacting roughly 220 students in urban and urban-ring communities.
- Pawtucket Soup Kitchen ($50,000): Funding will support the organization’s year-round food and program costs, including daily breakfast and dinner service on weekdays and brunch service on Saturday mornings.
- Quinnville Fire Department ($16,000): Funding will help the department cover the cost of two mission-critical pieces of firefighting equipment.
- South County Arts ($10,000): Funding will support a capital campaign to create ADA-accessible pottery and paint studios in the organization’s Studio Annex, allowing individuals with disabilities to participate in the full spectrum of creativity in a ceramic studio with adaptive equipment provided to meet their specific needs.
- United Way of Rhode Island ($25,000): Funding will support summer-learning sites in Central Falls, Cranston, Newport, Westerly and Woonsocket, helping local youth with financial or transportation barriers access educational experiences and resources.
The Navigant Credit Union Charitable Foundation is still accepting grant applications from eligible non-profit organizations. The deadline for the current round of funding is September 30, 2023. Learn more at www.NCUfoundation.org.